Friday, July 13, 2012

Trusting Without Seeing

 We did an activity where the Explorers were blindfolded and the Explorer's Assistant had to guide the Explorer on a journey.  This was an uncomfortable forum for my partner and I.  However, with encouragement and guidance I led her through a nature journey.  "What do you smell?", "what do you hear?" are some of the questions that I asked her as she really wanted to explore sitting on the bench.  I held onto her arms tightly and reassured her that she was in good hands.  
    After leading her to and fro, when she uncovered her eyes, she was amazed to see how far we had walked.  I explained the things that she heard and couldn't see and then by choice, we decided to switch roles.
    Now, from being a leader to being dependent was a true challenge for me.  My  partner took me through a totally different journey.  I was on a cleansing journey; all of a sudden my sense of sound, smell, and textures were enhanced.  I felt the wind and heard the trees blow. I heard people foot steps patting by and the birds chirping.  She didn't hold onto me so firm as I did, so I assumed we were in an open fielded area.  I know we went from the concrete to grass, because I felt the moisture of the grass on my feet. As I tried to move closer to her, she explained the things that was happening around us. 
    Once she led me back to our original spot, I was amazed to how our first journey was totally different. 
As educators, we connected this experience to our teaching setting.  Some students are better learners when you guide them with those critical questions so that they make meaning on their own.  Some students can go through a variety of tasks and ask those critical questions to gain understand. As educators we are facilitators and we are learning along with our students. However, there are somethings that makes us experts and our students need to see our own thought process.  They need to know when we have our confusing moments and see what we do to get out of that state of mind.
I plan to do this activity with my students in the fall.

2 comments:

  1. The golden line here for me is "there are some things that make us experts and our students need to see our own thought process." SO true. While we want our students to experiment and discover, we, the teachers, are important expert guides in the room. It's not just about letting them loose. It's so much more complicated than that! Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reynelda, thank your for sharing what it felt like to go through this activity. I like that you tackle our roles as teachers, of being experts and being explorers at the same time. It's an interesting balance. :) I'm also glad you got to experience both sides of the activity... makes for such a rich experience

    ReplyDelete